In the territory of the City Municipality of Vozdovac there are 24 local communities and 36 settlements, whereby the former attributes have in the meantime lost their initial meanings, not only because the old rural settlements have become a part of the urban tissue but also because, in a big and modernly organized city, one can no longer talk about the center, periphery, and suburbs, since the metropolis is in question with several mutually well interconnected centers.

The villages at the foot of the Avala Mt. are: Beli Potok, Zuce, Jajinci, Kumodraz (village), Pinosava, Rakovica (village), and Ripanj. It is typical that former rural settlements are much older than the part that was from the emergence considered to be the urban tissue. Banjica, for example, originates way back from the prehistoric period. In the course of the bygone centuries, it disappeared and reappeared and, in the middle of the 19th century, it was recorded as a settlement with some thirty houses, 136 inhabitants, and 28 taxpayers. Today, it is a modern urban settlement.

Beli Potok, the birthplace of Vasa ^arapi}, probably set up in the second half of the 18th century but, in the Turkish records, the settlement was recorded way back in the first half of the 16th century, though with only a dozen households. Today, it has over 1,100 households and over three and a half thousand inhabitants.

Zuce was also recorded in the Turkish 1561 census and, the legend says, the Slavic settlement emerged there way back in the 14th century. Mass colonizations from various sides at the time of Prince Milos Obrenovic and later contributed to the faster development of this and surrounding villages at the foot of the Avala Mt. Jajinci, also, were for the first time recorded in the Turkish 1528 census and, in 1717, in the Austrian censuses of the Belgrade district as well.

Kumodraz, in which the great Serbian commander Field Marshal Stepa Stepanovi} was born, if we are to trust what the legend says, is a very old settlement. In the Turkish cadastral surveys in 1530, 21 houses had been registered in this village. Less than a century and a half later – in 1866, Kumodra` had 66 houses, 95 ‘taxpayer heads of household’, and around 500 inhabitants. At the time, the village already had a municipality and a municipal court.

Rakovica, a village underneath the Istanbul and, later the Kragujevac road, in the Turkish sources from the 16th century, was recorded as a village with some twenty households, but it is certain that the settlement had definitely existed even before, around the monastery constructed in the second half of the 14th century and, at the time of the Ottomans, moved to a more secluded place away from the road. This „…village in the Sava River Basin below the Kragujevac road in a brook, two hours away from Belgrade“, in 1866, had 25 dilapidated houses with 27 ‘taxpayer heads of household’, and around 130 inhabitants.

In the territory of the present-day Ripanj, lead and silver ore was exploited way back at the time of the ancient Romans. In the territory of the village there are remnants of old settlements from various historical epochs. According to the Turkish censuses between1528 and 1560, it had from 14 to 25 houses. The number of households and inhabitants rapidly increased in the 19th century – in 1821/22, the village had 112 houses, in 1844 – 444, in 1900 – 460, and in 1961 – 2,129.